Money Saving Apps
Using your smartphone or tablet can help you save money by downloading some of the many free apps on the market for both iOS and Android. We’ve tried and tested some of the best money saving apps for anyone that lives in Spain.
Apps For Shopping
1. Supermarket shopping comparison app: Top place goes to SuperTruper (website available in English). All you have to do is scan (or type in) product barcodes to find the cheapest store for each item and the app will make different lists of where it’s more economical to shop. Downside: need to spend some time at the beginning scanning barcodes, but worthwhile for the time and money saved later.
App for iPhone and Android
2. Discount coupons: No prepayment required for discount coupons available at Oportunista. Additionally there’s no need to register, so you won’t be getting any annoying emails. All you need to do is just show the code on your phone at the restaurant / store / hairdresser etc to get your discount.
3. Latest offers from stores: With Tiendeo you can see the latest catalogues from stores such as MediaMarkt, El Corte Inglés, Zara and lots more. With the app you’ll get the latest information on special offers and sales. Drawbacks: on some phones download may be a bit slow due to the size of some catalogues.
Apps for Travelling
1. Petrol prices: With the ever-higher price of petrol & diesel, an app with the cheapest prices is always useful. We’ve tried the one for Gasolineras España. Downside: Occasionally price changes may not be immediately updated, specially during the night.
2. Hotel booking: For booking hotel rooms there’s a tremendous choice of apps, so we’ve opted for two a little bit different: Booking.com which offers last minute hotel rooms at heavily discounted prices, is easy to use and has a huge database and By Hours, if you only need a hotel for a few hours such as before a flight.
3. Join Up Taxi: Share taxis in cities in Spain to save on the fare, great to use from the airport.
4. Blablacar: This app helps you to share the cost of travel by matching car drivers with empty seats to people that want to travel. Their rating system helps with the safety issue and there is a ceiling on route costs to ensure that it’s not treated as a taxi ride!