How to Save Money on Wine, Beer and Spirits
Whether you only purchase alcoholic drinks twice a year for special occasions, or you’re a more regular shopper, it makes sense to try and save money on your purchases. We’ve put together some handy tips as well as suggestions for where to shop.
What you need to know
When it comes to shopping, loyalty to one store or brand doesn’t always pay. However, before signing up to websites that offer discounts, think about whether you really need to make a purchase right now or at a later date.
Most newbies will be offered a discount on their first purchase, normally 10€ or 10%, but sometimes higher discounts can be found. However, these offers tend to be short-lived and may only last for a couple of weeks or a month at the most. So, from the stores we list later on, just register on one to get the discount then move on to another one for your next purchase.
If you’ve already signed up for an introductory offer, you may be able to sign up again with a different email address. However, this trick won’t work on all sites as you may be asked for your ID number.
When comparing prices make sure you compare like with like, and that doesn’t just mean the brand. Bottle sizes can vary, and the usual 70cl bottle of wine or spirits sold on one website may be sold as a 1 litre bottle on another.
Also bear in mind the delivery costs: For free delivery you’ll have to spend above a certain threshold that will vary from store to store. With more expensive wines and spirits, you may not have a problem in meeting the threshold, but if you’re looking for cheap and cheerful brands you may have to buy a larger quantity than you really need.
Additionally, not all online sellers will delivery outside of mainland Spain. If you live on one of the islands, check the delivery options before starting your order.
Where to shop
Most supermarkets have a wine, beer and spirits aisle and sometimes you can find good offers. Of course, you’ll have to take or carry all your bottles home, so if you don’t have a car buying online is a good alternative.
One website that is often overlooked is Red by Dufry. Although this is the company that runs the Duty Free stores at Spanish airports, you can order wines and spirits online for home delivery (free shipping with orders over 75€). At Dufry bottle sizes for spirits are normally larger than those you sold at supermarkets and, along with their special offers, you’ll often find that you can make considerable savings.
Amazon Spain also has offers on drinks, but these vary from day to day. Along with regular well-known brands, you can also find lesser-known brands to try. If you have Amazon Prime you can often get free delivery, or simply sign up for a 30-day free trial and then cancel.
Carrefour online bodega also has regular offers on wines, free delivery is available on orders over 50€.
Wines, beers and spirits specialist websites
There are lots of dedicated wine and spirits websites, check out our selection:
- Drinks&Co has a wide range of drinks including non-alcoholic drinks, mixers and more. 10€ off for newbies, also check out their offers page for discounts.
- Vino Selección for wines, with your first order get 10€ off, free delivery and a free corkscrew. Also offers a wine club with several types of subscription.
- Bodeboca for wines and spirits, 10€ off for newbies.
- Lavinia for wines and spirits, 10€ off for newbies.
- Vinissimus, similar to the others and with the same discount for new customers.
For beers, try:
- Labirratorium (English website available) and try one of their Discovery boxes.
- Soloartesanas for craft beers.
- Tienda Solana for San Miguel, Mahou, Alhambra and other big brand names.
What about wine clubs?
If you’re serious about your favourite tipple, you may have considered joining an online wine club in Spain. Many have regular events (online or in person), however some simply send you a set of pre-selected bottles on a regular basis.
Sometimes if the wines are unknown you may not always be getting a good deal. Brands may be private labels that are not available elsewhere, but that doesn’t always equate with quality. You also need to look out for minimum order quantities per month or year.
If you’re interested in a wine club, take a look at:
- Iberia Wine Club – allows you to collect Avios towards free flights. They also offer courses and wine tourism.
- Vino Selección – offers exclusive products at special prices.
- Wine is Social – receive a box with two bottles every month, choose from 1, 2 or 3 different boxes.
Note: All discounts and delivery thresholds correct at the time of writing.