Best Books on All Things Spain
Whatever your literary preferences, we’ve rounded up a selection of the top books (by reader reviews) of Spain-related literature.
Throughout this post we’ve included direct links to each book on Amazon Spain. Other options, such as your local bookshop or department stores (El Corte Ingles, Fnac, Casa del Libro) may not have all the titles.
Some books may be available for free if you belong to Kindle Unlimited, sign up for a free 30-day trial.
Spain: What Everyone Needs to Know by William Chislett: “a concise buy nuanced account of the history of Spain”.
Still getting good reviews is Jan Morris’ Spain, first published in 1964.
Also take a look at Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett: Travels through a country’s hidden past.
Of course, we need to start off with the book from our friends at Spain Buddy: The Spain Buddy Easy Spanish Recipe Book.
Also take a look at:
- Rick Stein’s Spain: 140 new recipes inspired by my journey off the beaten track
- Traditional Christmas Recipes of Spain
- 200 Tapas & Spanish Dishes
Even though we can use many different apps to learn Spanish, sometimes a textbook or reference book can come in handy. Here’s a selection:
- The Big Red Book of Spanish Vocabulary: 30,000 words through cognates, roots and suffixes
- Complete Spanish All-in-One
- Collins: choose from Spanish Conversation, Spanish Grammar & Practice, Complete Spanish
Take a look at the Secrets of Spain trilogy by Caroline Angus Baker which tell the story of two families separated by the Spanish Civil War and reunited in 21st century Spain:
Joe Cawley’s tales of life in Tenerife: how the chance to escape from a dreary life in England didn’t go quite according to plan (if there ever was a plan!). Available as a set of 3 books (or buy separately)
- More Ketchup than Salsa: Confessions of a Tenerife Barman
- Even more Ketchup than Salsa: The final dollop
- Less Ketchup than Salsa: Finding my mojo in travel writing
Chris Stewart’s Lemons trilogy offers a view of life in Andalucia:
Victoria Twead’s Two Old Fools books, including:
Yes, there are even colouring books for Spain, take a look at:
- Gaudí, Barcelona and Modernism
- Buena Vista: A Colouring Book for Lovers of All Things Spanish
- Colours of Spain
You can find a plethora of travel related books on Spain, but for general info take a look at these top-rated guides: