Problem in Spain? Solve it with Solvit!

How many times have you had an issue with a local, regional or national authority in Spain and didn’t know what to do? Well, that’s where Solvit can help. It’s free to use for EU citizens with nearly 80% of problems presented resolved favourably.

Who Can Use Solvit?

Any EU citizen (or company) that has to deal with another EU public administrative body, however from 1 Jan 2021 help is no longer available for UK nationals living in the EU.

Typical problems faced by EU citizens that Solvit can take on are:

  • Goods and services
  • Pension rights
  • Visa and residence rights
  • Recognition of professional qualifications
  • Vehicles and driving licences
  • Health insurance abroad
  • Unemployment benefits
  • Taxes
  • Family benefits

However you can’t use the service in the following cases:

  • Where a court case procedure has already started.
  • If you seek compensation for damages.
  • Problems between consumers and companies.
  • Problems between companies.

Take a look at examples of problems solved on the website.

How Can You Present a Case?

Solvit centres exist in all EU countries, however most issues are dealt with online or by phone.

Normally two Solvit centres will deal with your case: one in your country of origin (and your own language) that receives your details and another centre in the country where the problem has arisen.

Between both Solvit centres they will check that they have received all the necessary information and keep you updated regarding the process. Most cases are resolved in 10 weeks.


Remember that if you present a problem to Solvit this does not suspend any national timeframe mandated by law. For example, if you have to reply to a letter from the Spanish Tax Office in 10 days you must meet that deadline, even if you decide to get in touch with Solvit.

Related Post: What Spanish Paperwork Should You Store?