No Annual Fee Credit Cards in Spain
Many people still pay an annual fee for a credit cards issued by their bank in Spain, but why pay 30€ or more per year if you can get one free that also comes with perks?
Many banks offer free credit cards if you have a current account, such as ING Direct. But if your bank charges for a credit card, doesn’t offer any bonuses and you don’t want to change bank, why not apply for one of the cards listed below?
WizInk offers a free MasterCard with 3% cashback on purchases in two categories. Choose from: fashion, food, leisure and travel.
You’ll also get 30€ back when you spend 300€ in the first three months after receiving the card.
Every month when you receive your statement you have 10 days to decide whether to pay it off in full or finance part of your bill.
Chain Store and Supermarket Credit Cards
- Carrefour Visa Pass. 1% Cashback when you spend 300€ a quarter (excluding supermarkets and petrol stations) returned with your quarterly Carrefour cheque. Also 8% cashback at Carrefour petrol stations or 4% cashback at Cepsa petrol stations. You can request an additional card at no cost.
- MediaMarkt Club Card Visa. Comes with exclusive promos for card holders. Watch out with the option to pay at the end of the month in full as you will be offered automatic finance in 3, 6, 10 or 12 months with interest.
- Ikea Visa. Exclusive promos for card holders and automatic financing of Ikea purchases up to 72 months if required. Online account information. Additional cards also free (for family members over 18 years old).
- Eroski Visa Red. Get introductory offers with your new credit card, exclusive promos and cash at Eroski tills (instead of using an ATM).
- One that comes with a catch is the Fnac Visa card. There’s no fee but you have to be a member of Club Fnac which does have an annual fee. With the Fnac credit card you’ll get 5% off at Fnac and 0.5% cashback on all other purchases. You can only request the Fnac Visa in store.
Bankinter offers over 10 branded free Visa cards with promos depending on the category chosen including:
- Travel (Halcón Viajes or Viajes Ecuador)
- Fuel (BP)
- Flights (Air Europa)
- Telecoms (Vodafone)
- Insurance (Linea Directa)
Cashback offers depend on each category. For example, with travel you get 6% back on purchases at Halcon Viajes or Viajes Ecuador and 3% on other purchases (max. 60€ per month).
What About the Interest Rates on Credit Cards in Spain?
We haven’t included any details about the hefty interest rates charged on credit cards. It’s always best to choose the default repayment option of “in full at the end of the month” to avoid interest payments.
If you do need to spread the payment over a longer period, interest charged will cancel the benefit of having a free card. It may be more beneficial to pay an annual fee for a credit card with a lower interest rate.