Save with Club Carrefour Cards in Spain
Carrefour supermarket has three “No IVA” (no sales tax) cards aimed at those aged 65+, families with 3+ kids and for under 30s. Club Carrefour card holders can get additional savings and with their new App there are even more advantages.
Carrefour is ranked every year as one of the top 5 cheapest supermarkets in Spain. If you use their loyalty cards and app you’ll be able to save even more.
How Much Can You Save With The “No IVA” Card?
The offer sounds great: no sales tax on all fresh groceries. However on fresh produce the rate is either 4% or 10%, not the higher general 21% rate.
You’ll be able to save tax on the following products:
- Bread & bakery section
- Fresh fruit & veg
- Cooked meats
- Ready-to-go food prepared at Carrefour, eg roast chicken
If you buy lots of fresh produce then you’ll be able to save on your weekly shop, however if you buy more frozen or tinned items then savings would be minimal.
How Can I Get A “No IVA” Card?
Cards are available for over-65’s, families with 3 or more children and people aged under 30. To request any of the cards, you’ll need to visit your local store.
Take photo ID for the 65+ or under-30 card. For families with 3+ kids that have a Familia Numerosa card (see our post on how to get one) you just need to request at your local Carrefour the “Superfamilias” card to get the same discounts.
All cards come with targeted discount vouchers (as well as the usual Carrefour discount vouchers).
How can you take advantage of this offer if you don’t belong to one of the target groups? Well, a couple of ways are possible.
First of all you can get a card for a friend or relative who is over 65 or has 3+ kids (if not Spanish, then the person must have a NIE number in Spain) and use it to purchase online as the card can also be used at Carrefour’s online supermarket.
Alternatively you can shop with a friend who has the card and then split the bill (and the shopping!) when you get back home.
Remember that cards can also be used at Carrefour Market and Carrefour Express.
Club Carrefour – More Savings
Discounts for Club Carrefour Card holders are accumulated and paid via a quarterly Carrefour discount cheque. Perks include:
- 1% back on purchases of groceries, pet food, cleaning products and toiletries & perfumery.
- 8% discount at over 120 Carrefour petrol stations across Spain. Additional promos may increase the discount to 10% at certain times of the year.
- If your local Carrefour doesn’t have a petrol station, or whilst traveling, you can get 4% off at Cepsa.
- For Orange mobile customers, you’ll get 5% back off every mobile bill. Log on to your Orange account and in “Ser de Orange” include your Carrefour Club Card number.
- 5% off home/car insurance contracted with Carrefour Seguros.
- Up to 5% off Alain Afflelou opticians.
If you contract your electricity or gas via their agreement with EDP, you’ll get the following discounts:
- If you only contract electricity:
- 3% discount on electricity consumption – without EDP’s maintenance contract.
- 5% discount on electricity consumption. To get this discount you’ll need to contract the maintenance service that comes with 50% off the price.
- If you contract both gas and electricity:
- 5% discount on electricity consumption and up to 25% off gas fixed charges (not consumption). To get this discount you’ll need to contract the maintenance service (currently on offer at half price).
You can use the App with any of the Carrefour cards and advantages include having your discount coupons on your phone (rather than on paper) and creating your shopping list(s). You’ll also receive info about promos and discounts directly.
Related Post: Online Only Supermarkets in Spain